Please learn all of my seven traffic safety rules because I want you to be safe. It is important to know about safety around cars and in the streets. You don’t want to get hurt by getting hit by a car.
Elmer’s Seven Traffic Safety Rules
- Look all ways before you cross the street. Cars can come around corners really fast. They also drive very fast and you must be very sure it is safe, before crossing the street.
- Keep away from Parked cars. People driving cars can’t see people in between other cars. They expect people to be at corners.
- Ride your bike safely ~ Obey signs and signals. I bet you can ride your bike safely. Do you remember all the proper signals to turn and stop? I am sure that you know what the big street signs and traffic lights mean too! Then with your helmet on, you are riding your bike safely.
- Play in a safe place away from the street. Streets are for cars. Parks are for playing. You can also play safe in your yard with mom or dad.
- Walk when you cross the street. Do you know why you should walk when you cross the street? It is easier for the drivers of the vehicles to see you. It is also safer so that you don’t fall down.
- Where there is no sidewalk, walk on the left, facing traffic. Of course, it is always best to use a sidewalk. Do you have streets with no sidewalks in your neighbourhood? Then always walk facing traffic and watching traffic. That way, if you see a vehicle coming and the driver does not seem to see you … you can always move over. Don’t take a chance, move safely over and give lots of room between you and the car.
- Always wear your seat-belt in the car. I know that you know this rule! Make sure you are wearing your seat-belt properly and know that you are safe.
If you and your friends follow all of these safety rules, you will be smart and be safe.